Era Bonito.

I've been here for one whole week already! Guat the heck. (lawl)

The rest of the days that I spent with the Glicks and my 3 other fellow interns were wonderful. On Friday we went to Antigua and did some sight seeing. It was fun getting to walk around and be touristy, but it was also good to get a small glimpse of Guatemala's rich and heritage. It's another part of being able to relate with the people here. The Alamo has nothing on the ruins in Antigua. For me, the highlight of our day in Antigua was shopping in the mercado, but not for reasons that you might initally thing. That was where we met Debbie. Debbie is a friend of the Glick family. The minute that she saw us with Mike and Sandi, she handed us free wall crossed and said something along the lines of, "these are gifts to you, my brothers and sisters I'm Christ. It is my hope that you may know Christ and his only truths, that come only from the Bible."
It was so refreshing to hear some English. But really. This lady went straight gospel on us before we even got a chance to introduce ourselves. What a beautiful moment that was!
The wicked flee when no one pursues,
but the righteous are bold as a lion. (Proverbs 28:1 ESV)

Beautiful. Guatemalans use the word bonito (beautiful) to describe almost anything. This is one of the many things that I absolutely adore about this warm and expressive culture.When I asked our guest home mom (who I'll talk more about later) how her telenovela was, she giggled and said, "bonito," when I ask the tías with me at The Oasis about their job, they describe it as hard, but "bonito." I love how artistic and elaborate these people are. The art of conversation is something that is fleeting. I am probably one of the leaders in this movement #hashtag, but it's beautiful to hear people talk to each other in such an expressive way.
Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person. (Colossians 4:6 ESV)

We got to get to bed early that night, but not before talking to our guest home mom, Marta. The night before, I asked Marta if she'd seen my phone that the Glicks gave us on our first night, and I promptly lost. I found it after a long evening of searching and went to tell her before dinner. When I told her I found it in my bag, she spanked me. That's right. Spanked me. I'm a 20 year old gringa. She's a 50 year old Guatemalan. It was hilarious. I deserved it. My first spanking. I'll never forget it.
Whoever spares the rod hates his son,
but he who loves him is diligent to discipline him. (Proverbs 13:24 ESV)

On Saturday we went to a park up in the mountains in San Lucas, where I am currently residing. There was a big swing over a cliff and a poisonous centipede, and tons if hills to climb. I loved it there. I love being in outdoorsy places and thinking that the same God that knows and created every leaf and every bug knows me deeply and loves me well.
O Lord, you have searched me and known me!
You know when I sit down and when I rise up;
you discern my thoughts from afar.
You search out my path and my lying down
and are acquainted with all my ways.
Even before a word is on my tongue,
behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. (Psalm 139:1-4 ESV)

After the park we went to pizza hut. It was so funny. Everyone was eager to wait on us hand and foot, and the entire staff did a pizza hut pride cheer before the lunch hour!
With full bellies, we returned to the Glicks' comfy home for an impromptu nap, and then left for SCETCA, the local seminary where another Camino intern was. We then returned to the Glicks for coffee and cookies. They are fantastic hosts. I am so thankful for them and am so encouraged by watching them live by faith.
Next, I walked with Mike to go get Erika and her baby for youth group. Erika is a girl that has more or less grown up with the Glicks. She was in and out of orphanages and shelters, and they always looked out for her. Through some less than ideal circumstances, she now has a baby. However, it is obvious that little 6 week old Elizabeth is her world. When we arrived, Erika was washing diapers, socks, onesies, and her own clothes completely by hand. Mike and I hung them in the line for her. He helped me to realize that girl's daily life. She washes and washes until her hands are raw, she stays up all night with the baby, she has homework, she has to leave at a crazy hour for school, the baby is always hungry, the baby is always pooping, and she's just 19 years old. I have so much respect for her. She is a fantastic mother.
Next, all of us went to youth group. We played games, worshiped, and did a really fantastic bible study. It was beautiful to see how the other youth loved on Erika and her baby. That type of nonjudgmental love would be hard to encounter in a youth group in the states.
Have I mentioned that I love these people?
Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye. (Matthew 7:3-5 ESV)

Sunday was Father's Day, and a very long one! We woke up at 5:30 for breakfast at 6 and eventually made it out to a government owned water park by about 10:30. It was an outreach that the Glicks put on for families in the dump area in Guatemala city. The plan was to worship and intensely share the gospel, but the park wouldnt allow preaching or worship music, so we had to keep it down. My God is not easily quieted or bound. It was beautiful watching Him move while we played games and gave "encouraging lessons." God was able to provide free meals to all that came with us. It ended up being well over 100 people, 20 of which were adult men. That's a huge number and a huge deal. Fathers in that area are often absent and uninvolved. Praise God for bringing them to a day with their family!
Remember Jesus Christ, risen from the dead, the offspring of David, as preached in my gospel, for which I am suffering, bound with chains as a criminal. But the word of God is not bound! (2 Timothy 2:8, 9 ESV)

We left the park around 3, and headed home. We made it to the Glicks around 6 and then went to eat dinner at Pollo Campero, the Laynes of Guatemala. It was delicious.
Next, we returned home with the hospitable Glick family and watched a documentary about Guatemala that my mom and dad aren't allowed to watch until I come home. It broke my heart for the people here and gave me a better sense of what ministry here needs to look like. It also helped to humble me. There is nothing I have to offer the people here. Nothing. But God has everything to offer them.
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change. Of his own will he brought us forth by the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures. (James 1:16-18 ESV)

"I am an imperfect earthen vessel, in all things let me say, 'Not I, but Christ.'"

I've been in the girls home where I'll spend the next 3 weeks since Monday. More to come on this place as soon as God gives me the prospective to do so.

Que Dios Bendigan

El año en que murió el rey Uzías vi yo al Señor sentado sobre un trono alto y sublime, y sus faldas llenaban el Templo. Por encima de él había serafines. Cada uno tenía seis alas: con dos cubrían sus rostros, con dos cubrían sus pies y con dos volaban. Y el uno al otro daba voces diciendo:

«¡Santo, santo, santo, Jehová de los ejércitos!
¡Toda la tierra está llena de su gloria!»
Los quicios de las puertas se estremecieron con la voz del que clamaba, y la Casa se llenó de humo. Entonces dije:

«¡Ay de mí que soy muerto!,
porque siendo hombre inmundo de labios
y habitando en medio de pueblo que tiene labios inmundos,
han visto mis ojos al Rey, Jehová de los ejércitos.»
Y voló hacia mí uno de los serafines, trayendo en su mano un carbón encendido, tomado del altar con unas tenazas. Tocando con él sobre mi boca, dijo:

—He aquí que esto tocó tus labios,
y es quitada tu culpa
y limpio tu pecado.
Después oí la voz del Señor, que decía:

—¿A quién enviaré y quién irá por nosotros?

Entonces respondí yo:

—Heme aquí, envíame a mí.

(Isaías 6:1-8 Reina-Valera)




Location:Guatemala

Comments

Popular Posts