Tengo Gozo

Disclaimer: this blog was intended to be about my first 4 days in Guatemala, but it ended up being only the first 24 hours. God is doing some mind blowing things here. I've been radically changed already.
I can't believe I have only been in this country for 4 days. It feels like a lifetime. Our first full day in Guatemala was so full of so many good things! We started to get to know the Glicks. The Glicks are missionary family that lives in Guatemala and works with Camino Global. They met us at our guest home for orientation that morning and then we were off! We visited a home for kids that have been orphaned or abandoned and invited them to youth group that coming Saturday night. Next, we took their daughter, Maria, to school. Maria is a sass and a half and I love everything about her. After that we went to MCDONALD'S. What an experience that was! The golden arches stand for quality in Guatemala. It is unreal. They actually care about serving you and do well, and throws doesn't stink either! After we filled our bellies with the lovingly prepare and well bestowed fried concoctions from the Micky D's, we went into Guatemala City!
We saw the president's palace and the royal cathedral, and lots and lots of pigeons. We got to walk around and enjoy the scenery and people watch--my favorite. After that, the Glicks took us to a cemetery. I was so confused why we were going to the cemetery, I just didn't think that it was a place people went to visit. Turns out cemeteries here are bumpin. Family and relationships mean the world to Guatemalans. This is one of the many cositas bonitas about the culture here. Mike (the man of the Glick family) led us though a maze of people and above ground graves, telling lie after lie about who was buried where. As we were walking, there was a stench that seemed to increase with every step. I thought it was rotting bodies, which, I guess looking back at it, that's what it could have been, but it was actually the largest dump in Central America.
It spans roughly 40 acres and is rapidly expanding. Anything thrown away by Guatemalans ends up here, or taken home by the garbage truck drivers. People in Guatemala throw away their toilet paper instead of flushing it, just to kind of put that stench in perspective. People and large black birds were all over the dump. It was hard to tell the two apart, there was something about that that I found almost eerie. I just sat there from my cliff high vantage point, agape. Not knowing what to feel or how to feel about it. That image will always be with me.
Then they also will answer, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you?' Then he will answer them, saying, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.' (Matthew 25:44, 45 ESV)

The rest of the day was relatively relaxed, but I couldn't stop thinking about that dump or the cemetery. We got to see Casita Benjamin, where some other Camino interns are working, and Sandi Glick (the sweet mother of the Glick clique) made us a delicious dinner. Following dinner was the absolute highlight of my trip, and I wasn't looking forward to it at all. God has a tendency to make something we dread into something beautiful. It's actually a parallel to the gospel, everyone dreads dying to oneself, but once that death is realized, new, sweeter, life is found.
And calling the crowd to him with his disciples, he said to them, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and the gospel's will save it. For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul? (Mark 8:34-36 ESV)

Cairos is a home in Guatemala City for children who are in the local public hospital and have cancer. This home provides a place for children and families to live together, holding true to the Guatemalan standard of close families and meaningful relationships. When Mike told us we were going to visit a home for children with cancer, must have gone whiter than the gringa that I naturally am. I don't do hospitals. I start to get dizzy at the sight of a paper cut. And I never know what to say to people! Even in English! I just stumble all over my words. When we arrived at Cairos, Mike's pal Oscar met us outside with his guitar. I took a big breath and entered through the small door into what I was sure was going to be the most bleak and depressing moment of my life. The place was rough looking on the inside. The roof was leaking, there weren't any real doors, there was one small kitchen and a small backyard. But the walls were painted as bright and lively as can be! And the people there, oh the people in that place! Their hearts and spirits were brighter and more warm and inviting and JOYFUL than all of the painted walls anywhere could ever display. Matt Chandler often talks about happiness and joy. Happiness is generally conditional, but joy is not. You can be somewhere where there is no happiness, but joy abounds. Cairos is the picture of this idea. The families there weren't all happy, many of the kids looked rough, but the joy that was present brings tears to my eyes even now. We all sat in a big circle, and Oscar led us in worship. I have never been apart of worship so beautiful in my entire life. We all had songbooks with lyrics in them, which was nice because everything was in Spanish. All of the kids knew most of the songs though. They were running around and dancing signing of the GOZO, gozo, gozo (joy, joy, joy) that they have down in their hearts because Christ has saved them! The song that got me though was one that we sang all the time in my youth group growing up, "Trading My Sorrows," the Spanish name was something else like that. Those kids with absolutely nothing on this earth, no money, material possessions, no health, were singing to the Lord about trading their sorrows, sickness, and pain, and laying them down for the JOY of THE LORD. I was a wreck, but I couldn't let anyone see it because I hadn't even know them for 24 hours yet. That night of worship is something that will stick with me longer than the horrors of the cemetery and the Guatemalan dump ever will. The other songs that got me include, but are not limited to, "You Never Let Go" and "When the Saints go Marching In." The latter is highly underrated. It's about goin to heaven y'all.
"Sing praises to the Lord, for he has done gloriously;
let this be made known in all the earth.
Shout, and sing for joy, O inhabitant of Zion,
for great in your midst is the Holy One of Israel." (Isaiah 12:5, 6 ESV)

After Cairos, we went home to our guest house. I wanted to sit down and tell the world about the day that I had just experienced, but I had to figure out how to put all of my emotions into words first. I guess this is how they go.
Anyways. I'll write soon about everything else the Lord is doing here and what He's teaching me.
Con cariƱo
Emilita
When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars, which you have set in place,
what is man that you are mindful of him,
and the son of man that you care for him?
Yet you have made him a little lower than the heavenly beings
and crowned him with glory and honor.
You have given him dominion over the works of your hands;
you have put all things under his feet,
all sheep and oxen,
and also the beasts of the field,
the birds of the heavens, and the fish of the sea,
whatever passes along the paths of the seas.
O Lord, our Lord,
how majestic is your name in all the earth! (Psalm 8:3-9 ESV)


Location:Guatemala

Comments

  1. Oh my Radical Friend Emily! What a joy and encouragement this was to read! I can only imagine the experience you had because simply reading it made me tear up. I am so incredibly pumped to hear more about your time in Guat as you like to refer to it on twitter! Seriously though!!! AHHHHHH I am so excited for you! I will be praying for you! Change eternity and set the world on fire! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts